Win SCP - can't access FTP

Has there been a change to FTP access? I’m using WinSCP, TLS/SSL Explicit encryption, Port 21, Username in the format [sitename]|[partneremailaddress]

I notice winscp now appends the hostname to the username so the username ends up look like this.
[sitename]|[partneremailaddress]@[sitename]

Has anyone else come across this? Is there a better FTP client? I don’t seem to be able to get around the appending issue.

In your username are the second and the first [sitename] the same? That might be your issue. It should be [site domain]|[your login email address]

I mostly use SFTP extension in VSCode these days, but when I need a standalaone FTP client I use Filezilla. I’ve been using it for years. I think it does everything winSCP does except for the automation scripting.

I used winSCP for that purpose specifically for a while, but I’m more comfortable with Filezilla. Filezilla is free, open source, which is nice.

My settings are
Protocol: FTP
host: [site domain, no https:// i.e. “mysite.trialsite.com”]
Encryption: Use explicit FTP over TLS if available
Port: blank (defaults to 21)
Logon Type: Normal
User: [site domain]|[your login email address]

Hope that helps.

Thanks Alex. I suspect the issue is that Winscp seems to be changing the username by adding the @hostname at the end. I’ll try filezilla. Thanks for getting back to me

1 Like