Backlog Request: File System API Additional Properties

The current File System API only lists the URL of items in the selected folder. I would like to see added properties to include the following.

• Update Date
  • File Size

Using a Custom Module I have created a Documents/Downloads file for multiple clients. Some clients want the file size displayed. Currently, the only way to do this is with Javascript or a module property and enter the size manually. If we could access the File Size from the File System API this would make this very simple.

For Update Date, when using a custom module as stated above your Update Date is based on the custom module item. If you change any information you get a new date even if the file itself has not been updated. The other issue is if an updated file is just uploaded to the directory directly from the file manager or FTP and not from the custom module you get the wrong update date. Having the ability to pull the file Update Date from the File System API would come in handy.

As this sat on my desk for a few days I came up with another possible use for the Update Date. CSS Version. If the File System API had an Update Date property you may be able to use the date to append a version number to your template CSS meta line every time the CSS file is updated and not have to manually do it.

If I am missing something or there is another way to accomplish this that I didn’t find let me know.

Thanks

4 Likes

Very good idea! I also have use cases for this …

A very nice addition to the File System API @Rhatch :slight_smile:
Added here: File System API Additional Properties

I have added my vote as also have need for this. @Rhatch I was about to go looking for a JS file-size solution. Any suggestions?

No, not at this time. I basically talked the client out of it because all of there pdf files were under 1mb so it really wasn’t necessary.