Documentation for basic client editing

I just had a client of mine – that I just developed a new website for on the Treepl platform – ask me if there was any tutorials or documentation that could show her how to do basic nICE editing, page editing blog posting and image management. Unfortunately there was nothing in the Treepl Docs https://docs.treepl.co/documentation I could send her to.

I understand the whole Treepl platform is still in it’s development stage but I found during my 10 years training clients up on the Business Catalyst platform that 95% of them only ever needed to be training up in using the basics such as page editing, blog posting and image management. BC was very good at arming the Partners with all the tools to help use and sell their platform.

Does anyone else have this issue and are there any plans for adding these valuable tutorials either as documentation or videos to the Treepl Docs so we can help our clients understand the system.

Thanks Dean

Hi Dean.
Absolutely! It is definitely planned for the Docs.
Like you said, since the platform is still in development, the current issue is that nICE and even the WYSIWYG are not complete, with some fundamental ‘end-client’ features missing or needing work (which is happening).
So in creating Docs for these features right now, with such missing or incomplete components, is not ideal and could even have a negative effect with your client.

As the Treepl Team are now doubling back on existing features to better hone them, I’m confident we’ll see these much needed features soon and documentation to match.

For reference though, could I ask what BC documentation specifically was helpful in this area - so as I might glean some useful snippets from them.

Hi,

I hear what your saying, hopefully the further development in these basic areas isn’t far away because I just had to create some training documentation of my own to give to my client. I would hate to think that every current Treepl Partner is having to do this sepparately just to solve what will be a pretty universal need at the moment.

BC has had many different iterations of their Training Resources,

At the moment this is all I could find https://aslo.worldsecuresystems.com/Utilities/HelpAndSupport.aspx

BC use to have long white labeled web pages that broke down all the basic steps of any given process that we could pass onto our clients for reference. This doesn’t seem to be on their site anymore. We found this the most helpfull. The video tutorials that they had were also very helpfull but the problem is that these needed to be done in accents for each country, which is difficult.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Your feedback definitely helps. Thanks Dean!

As I understand we need to wait at least for this item: https://treepl.co/public-backlog-state/scheduled/wysiwyg-editor-custom-modules-blog-browse-to-url that is scheduled already for this month before creating those video tutorials.

Hi Dean

With BC we didn’t use the things they supplied, mostly because it didn’t seem that our clients had a hard time going through the documentation or tutorials.

Whenever clients ask for something like this, I will make them a short video where I display it. It is much faster than writing some sort of documentation, and it seems it is easier to understand for the client.

Even though Treepl will supply this, I think we will keep doing small videos for our clients, since it is much easier. Next thing is that since most of our clients have custom modules they would need specific documentation for their module, but I get that you want documentation for the “standard” things, I would do small “generic” videos on these as well to share with your clients over and over :slight_smile:

Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

I like the idea of a whitelabled help page with just end user instructions.

I agree @Peter-Schmidt . We do personal tutorials with each of our clients and then record the sessions for their future reference. It would be nice to have some some basic backup instructions that they could reference if they were ever confused.

Hi Peter,

thanks for the feedback and ideas, can I ask what software do you find works best for capturing small video tutorials?

Dean

I have a similar process to Peter. So for BC I have a range of generic videos for most of the admin which I supply to all clients, then a few custom videos as needed for custom WebApps, etc.
I typically use Snagit for the straight forward ones and Camtasia for more detailed screen captures.

Loom is the winner for me. Captures easily, loads it online, allows editing. Not white labled though, but it’s free. I use it almost every day to explain something or demonstrate a bug. https://www.useloom.com

1 Like

Hi Dean

I use the Loom plugin for Chrome (http://useloom.com), and if I need a bit better quality I simply just use Screen Recording from my Quick Time Player, and then publish it to our Vimeo account, and send the link to the client.

Most of the times if I put it in writing the client still have questions or can’t find buttons/menus I am referring to etc. That is so much easier with video :slight_smile:

Hi Adam,
Would you be willing to share the videos you give to clients for training purposes? Generic and webapps.
I can’t find any training material to give to my clients and it would be silly if we are all writing training guides or recording videos. Can you either point me in the right direction or provide them to the Treepl Partners to use please?

Hi @cretam. Currently my video training resources are a bit of a mess (with the BC / Treepl change-over). So I’m still in the process of reworking a lot of these.
These, along with further documentation videos (and any other community offered materials) is a work-in-progress though. So hopefully more resources like this will be available in the near future and I’ll certainly keep everyone updated.

@cretam Tammy if you have anything specific you are after, I may have some time over the next couple of weeks to record a few videos, I’ve been working on a couple of these for our clients but they are client specific so won’t be helpful for others.

Thanks @lee.relianceit I have already recorded them using loom. Thank you anyway. It would be great to get some documentation done though that we could give customers.