eCommerce Questions

I have a proposal I need to help put together and there are some questions I couldn’t easily answer between the docs/forums/playing around with an eCommerce demo site. Any help really appreciated.

1. It looks like USPS shipping is available as a shipping provider in the back end, is this correct? Are other shipping providers available?
  2. Can users store/edit credit card information for their accounts?
  3. @Peter-Schmidt How did you integrate a custom shipping API?
  4. Can we suppress auto-responders from eCommerce purchases?
  5. Is it possible to implement purchase orders for eCommerce?
  6. Can we assign unique wholesale discounts for each user?
  7. Can a user have specific discounts for each product that we can assign i.e. 15% on product A and 20% on product b
  8. Are multiple currencies supported?
  9. Can we assign a currency to each user?

I appreciate anybody who takes the time to answer some all of my questions. Hopefully these answers will server as a reference for others.

1. I haven’t been able to get wholesaler pricing to work at all, as when I try to add a wholesaler price for a product, I can only “edit” not “save” but I also can’t see where this is linked to CRM users at all.

1. You can set a discount code to a catalogue, but I haven’t been able to do it for a specific product yet, or link a discount to a CRM user.

2020-04-15 10 26 - RTScreenshot 01

1 Like

Hey @Alex_B_Centrifuge. I’m not 100% on some of these but here’s my input:

1. Pretty sure there are no shipping providers integrated as yet. Where are you seeing USPS?
  2. I think all card details are handled by the gateway and I don’t think any ‘update card details’ form has been integrated as yet. Would have to be managed directly at the gateway.
  3. I’ll let Peter answer in more detail, but I think that API wasn’t so much a shipping calculator - more just an available location finder for pick-up options (in which “pick-up” had it’s own shipping cost associated).
  4. Well, the checkout form is just a form like any other so you could try turning off the auto-reply there. As for invoice email I don’t believe this can be disabled currently.
  5. We have ‘Credit Card’, ‘Free Payment’ and ‘Offline Payment’ options for the checkout form, so I guess you could utilise the ‘Offline Payment’ option for submitting an order without a real-time payment. But there is no official/built-in “purchase order” or “quote” function as such.
  6. No. Can’t really think of an ideal workaround either except for using discount codes.
  7. No. Similar to point 6.
  8. Yes. Similar to BC I think, via domain settings.
  9. Currency is based on the domain used so you could create some logic based on the user’s info (country, address, notes…) and either redirect after login or prompt for a country selection perhaps.
1 Like

Hey @Alex_B_Centrifuge
As @Adam.Wilson mentioned I used it for a list of pick-up points for the client to select based on what location they put in to the checkout form. It is an app called “Shipmondo” which is very popular in Denmark. I just use it for the pickup-points and then setup the package-labels etc. manually. If you integrate in 100% it will do the shipping label etc. automatically. So this just handles the shipping and package label. So if the customer selects “UPS” as shipping handler it will setup the packagelabel and print out automatically, so you just need to put it on the package. In my case we are able to ship cheaper to a pick up point than to the customers home address, so they can pick it up at there local shop or similar :slight_smile:

If you want to see the “integration” I can show it to you, but I am not sure you can use it in your case :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Adam.Wilson Thank you so much for your detailed responses.

re 1. shipping options. Now that I look at it it looks like it’s just a placeholder for simple shipping options that just happens to say USPS

6-7. I’m thinking it might be possible to have a custom web app that tracks discount codes. Actually you can’t use products as a data source or have custom fields in products that use custom modules as a data source. I wonder if we had a user logged in if we could call a custom module to show a discount, but then that wouldn’t end up in the shopping cart. Maybe it could automatically apply a discount code. Sounds like a spaghetti mess to figure out.

8-9 I can’t figure out how to add additional currencies. I see that there are dropdowns to select them…

1. I see that the manually input shipping options have dimensions and weight. It looks like the shopping cart logic currently doesn’t limit the shipping options by weight/dimensions. I guess this would require some custom logic.

@Peter-Schmidt So did you setup a shipping option in treepl for each shipping location, and then the API finds the closest one and selects it, or limits the list to the closest ones?
Is that correct?

Or are you passing shipping information and prices from the API to the shopping cart?

@Alex_B_Centrifuge
The price for sending to a pick-up point is the same rate no matter which pick up point is selected.
So when the customer has selected this type of shipping I check for it on the next page (checkout), if they have selected the pick up point, after they enter the address the API loads the closest X amount of pickup places that are nearest to there address and list them after distance (starting with the closest one), and this value is just sent through the form like any other field. The rest of the process is manual, where I will go to the website supplying the API and I will manually put in the address and pick up point.

So this is a very basic integration. The “full” integration would be that it was automatically send to the suppliers interface and I would just need to print the label (this can be automated as well), but that would be a lot harder to do and honestly I was surprised that I managed to get this to work since I have very little experience with this type of API integration. Would be great to have this solution integrated in to Treepl but since this is, at the moment, a danish solution it would not make much sense to other partners at the moment :slight_smile:

– Let me know if you want further details, but I am not sure this can help you in this particular case :slight_smile:

Yep, this would certainly be a tricky one. I’m working on something for my own site where I want the user to be able to configure a product price, or have a product set to a certain price configuration based on who they are, and so I’m working on the idea that a product price is $0 but has a bunch of attributes that add to the price. then based on the users selection, or dynamically based on their profiles, the appropriate attributes are selected - therefore setting the final product price.
This is, of course, a massive workaround and very specifically configured with manual assignments… but the idea might be workable for your case???
I’d love to see product attributes allow for a negative price value as it would better allow for these ‘pseudo discount’ models.

Currencies are set up under the Domain settings (‘Settings’ > ‘Domains’ > “Currency and Formats” tab).

Hmm, haven’t tested this myself, but I’d say it’s a feature still in the works.

1 Like