Images Caching Issues in Custom Modules & Blog Posts

When replacing images in custom modules and blog posts often the new images won’t update on the live site. Sometimes it takes hours for the new image to display, other times we’ve have had to physically change the url of an image to get it to update on the live site. Dumping the cache does not fix the issue and trying other browsers doesn’t clear the issue. It seems like a server caching issue causing this. This is proving to be a hard work around.

@SiroccoDigital I’m betting you are using the image processing options (ie: ?width=600&height=400) I’ve also found this to cache very heavily like you have described and noted that to Vlad quite a while back. That service caches the images on their end which is why browser cache clearing won’t work (from my understanding).
Images placed without this I haven’t seen an issue with and clearing cache should definitely refresh them.

Here’s a little bit more info on the subject (regarding the Image Processor):
http://imageprocessor.org/imageprocessor-web/imageprocessingmodule/#caching

You are correct Adam, we are using the image processing options for blogs and web apps and this functionality was built into the Treepl template we are currently using. I think we will need to remove this functionality from sites to ensure that it doesn’t cause ongoing maintenance issues.

Yeah, I do think the caching settings are too high on the Image Processor but it’s also an extremely helpful tool. Hopefully @alex and the team can make some adjustments here.

There is a common practice of having a “Clear Cache” button that would do all the work. What do you think about adding such button to the Settings?

2 Likes

Thanks @vlad.z (and good to see you in the Forums :slight_smile: ).
I think that would work well enough.

Folks, I’ve got a Treepl site that depends on the image processor feature as well. We don’t see any updates on the server ‘refresh’ cache resolution to this problem. Vlad and Treepl Team - please comment. Scott