Meta Tags on Blog Category Pages

Hello,
I have a client that is on Adobe BC and is interested in migrating over to Treepl CMS. One of their questions is one that I’m unsure of, so I’m hoping someone in the community can help here. On Treepl CMS, is there a way to set meta tags for the blog category pages? For example, on their existing site - if you click a blog category, such as ‘Accepting Home Care’, it takes you to this page:

https://www.awareseniorcare.com/blog-posts/category/Accepting_Home_Care/

Is there a way to set specific meta data for this category page via the Treepl CMS? I can’t think of a way to do it on Adobe BC, but I think it may help in my sales pitch if I can tell them that Treepl CMS can handle a setting like that. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

• Ryan

Hi Ryan.
If you are using the built-in Blog module with standard Categories then not really.
Unless the categories were fairly fixed and not likely to change, you could hard code the required meta keywords into conditional statements to display when each category is rendered.
But assuming your categories will be more dynamic/changeable you’d probably then need to set it up as a Custom Module (WebApp) with a linked (or nested) Custom Module as the categories - then it would be totally possible to display any custom data for any item/category.
Also, what hosting plan would you anticipate this site migrating to? as that may allow/disallow certain methods of achieving this.

Hey @Adam.Wilson Isn’t @StudioRTP asking for exactly the thing that we worked on together. A list of blog post categories that brings you to a list of blog posts filtered by category? I thought you posted the code for that somewhere?

Hey @Alex_B_Centrifuge. I understood the requirement as rendering meta data tags in the actual page for a category page/view. As opposed to blog tagging functionality. But maybe I’ve misunderstood?

@Adam.Wilson Ah, you’re right, I misread it the first time. Couldn’t you pass a meta tag variable into the url and then parse it in the meta title/description? Alternatively you could setup meta tag fields for each category and then match category with meta tag fields.
If url category = cats make title = metaTagTitleField
I think you’d have to setup a separate custom module to do it. I’d probably setup the whole thing as a customer module.

Hello @Adam.Wilson and @Alex_B_Centrifuge,

Thank you so much for contributing here and helping out. Sorry for my delayed ‘thank you’ - I was out of the office yesterday and back in the office feverishly trying to get caught up today. I suspected this would be the answer (using a custom module instead of the blog), but I was hoping there would be a better solution that didn’t require so much work recreating a blog through the custom modules. To answer your question @Adam.Wilson, this client will be hosting on the top tier hosting plan (Pro+). Really though, I know you gentlemen are busy, so I really appreciate the help here!

Well you’ve got to keep the meta data associated with each category somewhere. The options I can think of include

1. having a category page that holds the metadata. Then when you’re filtering by category you could pull this blog post and grab it for the meta data. This would allow everything to happen in the blog module.
    (I’m not sure about this one. I’d have to test it to see if it would actually work. Seems like it would)
  2. a separate web app that contains meta tags associated with each category that you pull on a category page
  3. Hard code the categories and tags in a template.

Here’s the category filter demo if you haven’t seen it DEMO Custom Blog

Oh, yeah. The issue would be creating the items in the custom module, or the blog pages. You’d have to train your client. I don’t there is an automated way to do that.

Seems possible that you could teach them to create a web app item for each category they create. Not ideal… I would personally go full custom module.

This is great - thank you @Alex_B_Centrifuge This client is actually very familiar with using Adobe’s Web Apps as a blog, because when I first did their site, Adobe didn’t offer a ‘feature image’, so it was the only way I could think to set it up. We may not have a choice to go with a custom module - I plan on having the Treepl Team migrate this site, so I’ll see what they would charge to set it up that way vs. using the blog functionality. Again, I appreciate your time, greatly.

@StudioRTP if you’re on the Pro+ plan you have access to nested Custom Modules which is perfect for this exact situation. One Custom Module is your categories (with all the fields and options you like - including SEO meta data) and then you nest another Custom Module within that for the blog posts. it works beautifully and is super intuitive for the client once set up.

It’s really not much different to set up a Custom Module blog to a regular Blog, they are built on the same ‘module’ model. Using Custom Modules you have complete freedom to extend the blog functionality if/when needed.

Have a play with nesting Custom Modules together and if you need further help understanding it I’ll record a demo for you.

1 Like

Hello @Adam.Wilson - thank you again for the additional recommendation here. I think I understand the setup you’re suggesting. Basically, I would create a new Custom Module (maybe called Blog Categories), create certain custom module fields, such as meta description, meta title, etc., and then nest those modules in the Blog module templates, is that correct? I’m just confused on how the system will know what Blog Category Custom Module to pull for each category, and I’m not sure if you’re still recommending using the existing Blog Module or creating an additional Custom Module for blog posts. I hate to ask, because I’m sure you’re busy, but if you do have time to record a quick demo it would be greatly appreciated because I think I’m misunderstanding a step here or I’m just confused. Again, I really appreciate your time (and patience) to help out here!

Hi @StudioRTP
Yeah it’s a bit confusing at first. A demo should clear things up for you… so here it is :slight_smile:

This is wonderful - thank you so much. I truly appreciate you taking the time to help me out here as I continue to try and learn the Treepl platform and overcome some obstacles my client is currently having on Adobe BC. Thank you again @Adam.Wilson - I owe you one!