Nested Templates

Allow templates to optionally select another template as its parent template. This would allow for templates to be nested.

An example of how this might be used, is having one template with the navigation and the footer, which is used across the site, and then a few sub templates for specific sections of the website. For example one could have a hero slider, and another could have a minimal header for utility pages.

The benefits of this system would allow the navigation and footer to be updated across the site by editing one template. Conversely if edit’s were needed to just the template with the hero slider, then those edits would be limited to that template.

I like this idea, of course, we can accomplish this with the use of snippets or include files. But this would put that all in the same place. You also wouldn’t need multiple snippets to get the header and footer on the template example. I can also see advantages when applying restrictions for the client. Now I try to use and include file so if I have any snippets they need to have access to they don’t mess up and things they shouldn’t.

1 Like

Agreed, this can be accomplished with snippets and includes, but I thought it would be a nice convenience feature, an probably not super development heavy for the team.

Interesting thought @Alex_B_Centrifuge :+1:
I will leave it here a bit more for others to chime in with additional thoughts before adding it to the backlog.

I think it is a great thought and as you mentioned it shouldn’t be that development heavy :slight_smile: