Offline Payments?

I have a client who wants to process payments for orders offline. I see that this has been delivered in the backlog (I think), but I can’t find more information on this.

1. Where do I select offline payments as an option?
  2. Is it possible to have only offline payments? i.e. not setup a payment gateway?

To clarify, here is what I’m envisioning for the workflow:

1. User adds items to cart
  2. User views cart, selects shipping options, enters details (name, address)
  3. Client (site owner) gets email with items and user’s name address etc
  4. Client calls user to process payment, or user comes in to pick up purchase and pays in person.

I just poked around the docs and the admin and I can’t find anything related to offline payments. I’m not really sure how to trigger an offline payment flow. I’m not really sure if offline payments is a way of doing what I want or a way of recording payment for a purchase offline (which would make me think there is some way of creating a purchase without payment being processed).

I’m also wondering if drop shipping might be useful for this situation, but again I can’t find much information about it.

If offline payment and drop shipping aren’t the answer then perhaps I’ll just pass the cart into a regular form in the background which will notify my client that a user is wanting to make a purchase.

Help appreciated.

There is not really any workflow for ''offline payments", since it’s an offline/arbitrary process.
Not to be confused with “deferred payments” which allows you to collect any remaining payment for an order at a later time (via online payment processing), which could have more of a workflow setup.

So, you can still submit an order that doesn’t require payment and the client can collect payment ‘offline’ or otherwise, however they choose.

In a payment form (ie: the Checkout form) you will get a select element with various payment options:

<select id="Payment_Type" name="Payment_Type">
    <option value="CreditCard">Credit Card</option>
    <option value="Paypal">Paypal</option>
    <option value="Free">Free Payment</option>
    <option value="Cash">Cash</option>
    <option value="EFT">EFT</option>
    <option value="Cheque">Cheque</option>
    <option value="MoneyOrder">Money Order</option>
</select>

So in your case, you could just set this to one of the ‘offline’ methods, such as “Cash” and no payment will be required at time of checkout.

From there the client can access the order via the admin and mark manual payments against it.

Thank you @Adam.Wilson that will work great.