Preview and draft mode for pages and module items

Couldn’t find this in the backlog though I think it’s pretty important. One of my clients thought that the “Preview” link in Item Settings is actually used to preview a page before it’s published:

Instead this link triggers a 404 error if used before the item/page is published or if the item/page is disabled. Which means there’s no way at the moment to preview something before it’s live on the site (in BC we would save a draft and then preview it).
I installed a workaround for this client (for costum modules) by implementing a preview property (boolean) and filter the list items on the front end.

But we certainly need a proper preview functionality for pages and module items and the option to save a draft. @Peter-Schmidt Can you double check if this is already in the backlog? Couldn’ find it there yet. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @TimL

Sorry for my late reply, I have been away on holiday :slight_smile:
I have added the request here: https://treepl.co/public-backlog-state/in-process/preview-and-draft-mode-for-pages-and-module-items

Please let me know if you want anything added to it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fully agree, just chiming in to say – I guess you’re including blog posts here, but it I think it should be specifically mentioned. It is a really basic feature of BC WP etc that is badly needed

PS: I’ve added my vote, important to vote for this

Thanks
Garrett

1 Like

Totally agree… we had to build out a separate ‘Preview’ Blog Post custom module for our clients so they can preview posts before going live.

This may be uncouth but I’ve come across a good system for this in another CMS.

A user has three options when saving an item:

1. Save to live
  2. Save as draft
  3. Save to release

The versions of each file are displayed as a stack in the top right corner. The user who created the draft is shown as the creator of the draft. A note can be added to the draft. Once a draft is saved other users can edit the draft. A draft can be saved to the live page.

Saving to a release.

1. A user creates a release. A release gets a unique url. When you go to the unique url you see the release version of the website.
  2. When a user edits an item they can save it to a release.
  3. When a release is finalized then a user can publish the release to the live version.

Note: having a way to distinguish between when you’re editing a live item, draft item, item for a release is important. This system uses a colour scheme for each of these. Each release is given a unique colour, so you can tell if you’re editing an item within a release.

The live version can be saved as an archive to allow users to role back to it in case any errors were made.

There is a view to see only the items that have been saved to a release.

1 Like

The other system I liked the preview and draft mode workflow from was Prismic. Might be worth looking at for a design pattern when this feature is implemented.

1 Like

The link here doesn’t actually go anywhere anymore - is this still on the roadmap?

Hi @Neido

Yeah the link is wrong now since it has moved to “In process” - here is the correct link (edited in the original post as well)

It will be in v. 6.1 which is expected to be delivered March 24, 2021 :+1:

2 Likes

Hi all, does anyone know what happened to this. In spite of all the votes, it seems to be stuck in the wish list?

1 Like

Hi, it’s coming soon.