End-User Password Reset for Hosted Email

Currently, email account management is only accessible via the Portal, so the client/site owner cannot easily manage their user’s email accounts.
One major issue with this is that the email account passwords need to be set by the Reseller and then passed on (in plain text) to the client (and then likely passed, in plain text, to the user/staff member).
This also increases support requests to the Reseller.

In BC the option for the end-user to initiate their own password reset was available on the OpenSRS webmail login page. However, now with Treepl’s OpenSRS reseller setup, this option does not appear to be available.

From what I understand, this may be a setting available to OpenSRS resellers to enable, as per this article: https://help.opensrs.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003727294-Email-Password-Recovery-System

If this could be investigated please, as it may be a quick fix for this issue (while more complete email management is developed for the Portal/Website admin).

6 Likes

@Eugene - Do you guys have any idea on how much work this is? Do you want me to add it to the public backlog or do you put it in your “internal” log? :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Eugene @Peter-Schmidt just following up on this one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have no idea how big this feature is. Please add it to the public backlog.

@Eugene & @Adam.Wilson - Great I have added it here:

Might be interesting to check if it really is as quick of a fix as the article suggests, before a lot of votes are “waisted” on this feature if it really is easy to do :+1: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anything on this? I don’t know how everyone else does it but it doesn’t really look good creating a password for my client and me having a copy of it. I know if someone had a copy of all my business passwords id have to have a lot of trust in them.

1 Like

Hi @luke

It has a fair amount of votes (8), so I guess it would be in one of the next sprints.

I guess you do it the same way, but I don’t ask my client for their “normal” password. I would give them a “password1234” password, send it to them and tell them how to change it after they have logged in to the webmail.

I would much rather have the “real” solution, but at this point that is my workaround :slight_smile:

1 Like

oh ok, they can change via webmail, perfect ill let them know. thanks for the info mate.

1 Like

@luke - No worries :slight_smile:

I see there now is a “Password Recovery” option in the backend of Webmail now, seems to be similar to the link @Adam.Wilson listed above that needed activation by Treepl.

I don’t log into the backend of webmail often, so wondering if this is serves as the “quick fix” solution Adam mentioned to this BackLogged Item? Seems like something the user would need to setup through webmail and not us through our Treepl portal.

Cool - Haven’t noticed that before.
It seems like a bit of a different solution than I would have thought but it works, even though it takes a bit of setup.

So if one where to set it up for a client I guess the workflow would be something like:

1. Add the email and password in the Treepl Partner Portal.
  2. Go to the webmail and login
  3. Go to Settings → Password Recovery
  4. Setup an external mail which the client chooses
  5. When this is setup a token is sent to the clients external email which would need to be entered into the backend.

If the client tries to login to the webmail and gets the password wrong there will be the possibility to “Reset your password”.

So it is quite a setup, especially since you need to get the token from the client while setting it up.

I guess this is the way that OpenSRS chose to do it, and the “simple” way would have been that there had always been a “Restore password” button, but that could be a problem if the client do not have the mail setup on a email-client because then they would not have the possibility of receiving the reset password email, so I guess it is necessary to have the external mail.