Simplify secure zone password setup for new users

Currently if a user is added to a secure zone they get an email notifying that they have been subscribed.

Then they need to go to the login form.
Then select forgot password.
Then get an email to setup a password.
Then click on the link and setup the new password.

Can we just include a link to setup a password in the initial email if the user doesn’t have a password setup yet?

(Or maybe somebody know of a way to simplify this already that I’m missing)

We are just sending every user after adding them to a secure zone a password recovery email via this button:
grafik

Is that what you mean?

1 Like

@TimL Thanks. That’s a good workaround.

I think the user should still get an email with a password create link when they are invited.

2 Likes

@Alex_B_Centrifuge
Does your secure zone form has password field?
If you form should provide user with login/password access then it just need to have a password field.
When such form will be submitted - user will get 2 emails http://prntscr.com/png2nq
[Confirm Email Notification] is the one that includes confirmation link that allows user to go through login to secure zone process.

@vlad.z could the email confirmation function also be combined with the password creation/reset page?
Since the user only needs to visit that Email Confirmation page for it to register them, could it not be included on the password reset page as well, in the same step… perhaps even on any page of the site for any future implementations where we may need to confirm email address?

Just seems like there can be a lot of emails and steps which hinder users signing up, so if we can streamline it at all that would be good.

I don’t quite understand the flow you are mentioned above. Can you describe some example for it?
By the way password reset form also triggers email confirmation flow if user hasn’t confirmed his email previously.

Sorry @vlad.z, I’m a bit confused myself :slight_smile:
Basically, I don’t see why the ‘email confirmation’ email and ‘email confirmation’ page need to be seperate processes.

So, if a user signs up with a form that collects their password, we can opt to send them an auto-responder and/or secure zone details email (or nothing at all), but their email can be confirmed when they go to log in. If they never go to log in then they are not confirmed.

If a user signs up with a form that doesn’t collect password, then the email confirmation can happen when they go to set/reset their password (like you said already happens anyway).

Seems like there is opportunity to do email confirmation in the background without it being another step for the user.

…follow up question:
Can the ‘Secure Zone Details’ email and ‘Email Confirmation’ email be suppressed (ie: with a param in the action URL or a hidden field)?

…follow up question:
Can the ‘Secure Zone Details’ email and ‘Email Confirmation’ email be suppressed (ie: with a param in the action URL or a hidden field)?

There is no possibility to do this for now. But it can be taken to some improvement sprint if it will be in the public backlog requests :slight_smile:

The confirmation process requires user to get email notification with confirmation token. So only the person who this email account belongs to get access to that token.
But in order to verify the token - user need to go to the site with that token. This action actually confirms the user’s ownership of the email account.
That’s why confirmation page is required.

This is a standard security process for account registration flow.

Ok, I understand.
I guess if we later get the ability to suppress system emails, we can suppress the Secure Zone Details Email and reduce the amount of emails going out to the user.
I’ll write that up as a Backlog Request :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Apparently I’m in the wrong timezone. All the interesting conversation happens at night :slight_smile:

I was actually talking about the workflow of an admin adding a secure zone user, where they don’t sign up via a form with a password. It would be nice if the email a user gets when I subscribe them as a secure zone member would include the link to create a password.

Apparently I’m in the wrong timezone. All the interesting conversation happens at night :slight_smile:

I was actually talking about the workflow of an admin adding a secure zone user, where they don’t sign up via a form with a password. It would be nice if the email a user gets when I subscribe them as a secure zone member would include the link to create a password.

I’m thinking specifically about the case where I migrate over 200 users. It would be very tedious to open each user profile and click a button to send them an email to setup a password.

@Alex_B_Centrifuge
How about a solution when you just send a one time campaign asking to reset their passwords with a link to reset password page of the site?

Is it possible to create to insert a password reset link into an email campaign? If so I would just include that link in the “added to secure zone” confirmation email. i.e. You have been added to x secure zone. If you haven’t yet setup a password please do so now Setup password

@Peter-Schmidt Can you add this to the public baclog?

Sure thing @Alex_B_Centrifuge.
I was waiting for @Adam.Wilson to write it up :slight_smile:

Any further comments on this Adam, before I add it? :slight_smile:

Hey @Peter-Schmidt, I did post this a little while ago.
Not sure if it covers everything discussed here though:

@Adam.Wilson
Ahh - Sorry! Don’t know how I missed that one on my latest “update” - Will add it asap! :slight_smile:

Ha ha, I sneak them in when you’re not looking :wink:

1 Like